Know Your Rights
But don’t just take our word for it. Below is the State of California, Department of Insurance’s Auto Body Repair Consumer Bill of Rights.
State of California
Department of Insurance
AUTO BODY REPAIR CONSUMER BILL OF RIGHTS
Amended effective January 1, 2010
A Consumer is entitled to:
- Select the auto body repair shop to repair auto body damage covered by the insurance company. An insurance company shall not require the repairs to be done at a specific auto body repair shop.
- An itemized written estimate for auto body repairs and upon completion of repairs, a detailed invoice. The estimate and the invoice must include an itemized list of parts and labor along with the total price for the work performed. The estimate and invoice must also identify all parts as new, used, aftermarket, reconditioned or rebuilt.
- Be informed about coverage for towing and storage services.
- Be informed about the extent of coverage if any, for a replacement rental vehicle while a damaged vehicle is being repaired.
- Be informed of where to report suspected fraud or other complaints and concerns about auto body repairs.
- Seek and obtain an independent repair estimate directly from a registered auto body repair shop for repair of a damaged vehicle, even when pursuing an insurance claim for repairing the vehicle.
Complaints within the jurisdiction of the Bureau of Automotive Repair
Complaints concerning the repair of a vehicle by an auto body repair shop should be directed to: Toll Free (866) 799-3811
California Department of Consumer Affairs/Bureau of Automotive Repair
10240 Systems Parkway
Sacramento, CA 95827
The Bureau of Automotive Repair can also accept complaints on its website at: www.autorepair.ca.gov
Complaints within the jurisdiction of the California Insurance Commissioner
Any concerns regarding how an auto insurance claim is being handled should be submitted to the California Department of Insurance at:
(800) 927-HELP or (213) 897-8921
California Department of Insurance
Consumer Services Division
300 S. Spring Street
Los Angeles, CA 90013
The California Department of Insurance can also accept complaints on its website at: www.insurance.ca.gov
Bells & Vaughn Hours:
Monday - Friday: 8:00am - 6:00pm
Saturday: 8:00am - 1:00pm
241 North Allen Ave, Pasadena, CA 91106
Copyright © 2018 Bells & Vaughn Collision Center